Saturday, April 6, 2019

Carts...

...you either love 'em or hate 'em.

 For some twisted reason, I'd been jonsin' for a Gillette Atra. Had to be the metal-handled one, though. With a case. So, after many days of waiting, I found one...with a bonus... 



The Brush Plus travel kit. Appeared like-new, with a couple of small paint spots on the plastic case, with three blades, soap dispenser, brush, and booklet. 20 bucks. I took it for a test spin, using the Clubman Classic cream, and got so-so results. Tolerable, but took more work than my Ranger Tech. From 1984, I believe (as was listed). Next, to get some extra blades for further experimentation...


I got a pretty good deal on these, 50 carts for $19.38, free shipping. I'd read about some guys removing the lube strips, so I'll wait and see how they do before taking any drastic action.


Atra "Elite", gold-plated with rosewood-stained birch handle

Then, I thought I might as well look for a Trac II, since I'd already fell down the rabbit hole with the Atra. I feel like I struck pay dirt on this one...


Beautiful condition, this. Complete with five unused carts and booklet, one very slight dimple on the top case cover, and shaves wonderfully. Not sure as to the date, though...no other markings other than "Gillette" on the handle. OEM carts are rather pricey, so someone suggested the Indian-made PII carts...


$19.99 for twenty, shipped free. I could have saved 79 cents if I'd checked WallyWorld first.

Wilkinson and Schick also made cartridge razors that used the same blades as the Gillettes. If I run across something unique and/or unusual, I might bite the bullet and get it. I've also seen some no-name imported handles, a few that were tempting, but nothing yet I'm willing to get.

Next, the original Sensor. I'm trying to stick to the early cartridge razors of no more that two blades. This one came with three packs of Personna Tri-Flexxx triple blades, so I ordered some of the Sensor twin blades to go with it.


(I just finished a session with the Trac II and the PII blades, and was impressed with the shave *and* results. Smooth, close shave, using Cremo Cooling cream. I have my eye on a few more "vintage" cartridge razors, so I'll be continuing this post at a later date.)

No comments:

Post a Comment